Fleet number: 20
Registration: EVD 406
Chassis: Crossley 42/7 DD (1949) No. 94758
Body: Roe H31/25R (1954)

This bus was new to Baxter's of Airdrie, Scotland in 1949, where it originally carried a lowbridge body built by Scottish Commercial. It was operated by Baxter's until 1953, when it was bought by Joseph Wood of Mirfield West Yorkshire to operate on their working on the Mirfield to Dewsbury via Knowle service. (This service is now operated by Longstaff's and numbered 205).

In late 1954 the original Scottish Commercial body was scrapped and the chassis was sent to Roe of Crossgates Leeds for a new 56 seat Highbridge body. The re-bodied EVD 406 returned to Woods in March 1955 and was used on the Mirfield – Dewsbury service until 1967.

It was retained by the Woods family and was again put back on the road in September 1999 by Mr J. Colin Wood, son of the founder. EVD 406 is the only remaining Crossley double-decker that has been with independent operators all its life and the only one to be re-bodied. EVD 406 was originally part of the Keighley Bus Museum collection housed at Denholme, before being sold to Quantock Motors.

In October 2014 it was acquired by member Andrew Beever and it is back home here at Dewsbury. It made its debut appearance for us at our Open Day in November 2014.

There is a picture of it with the original Scottish Commercial body on John Hinchcliffe's site (lick this link):
http://www.jsh1949.co.uk/woods%20mirfield.htm

1411GH01