AEC Reliance, MU3RV1009

Body: Roe Go4261
Date new: April 1957

803 was new to the West Riding Automobile Company Ltd of Barnsley Road, Wakefield, built as a coach to C41C layout for West Riding's coastal services and private hire and excursion programme. The body was by Roe of Leeds, unusually giving the design a name, this being "Dalesman". After only eight years with the company, 803 was sold on to Kirkby, Anston (dealer) by October 1966, and to Mrs J E Pulleine of London SE22 in January 1967.

Withdrawn in March 1969, it moved on to Pierce, Borough Green, and was part of the West of England Transport Collection at Winkleigh by September 1978. It was purchased the following month by the West Riding Wulfrunian Preservation Society (which was re-named West Riding Omnibus Preservation Society around 1981). The members of the society extensively restored 803. Indeed it was so good that Classic Coaches of High Wycombe had the vehicle on loan for several years to run on private hires, excursions and heritage bus services. 803 returned to the Museum with the demise of Classic Coaches.

The interior is now restored, and in January 2017 re-wiring was commenced. The clutch has been re-conditioned, and the coach is now fully mobile.

TP5772
JHL 983 002
JHL 983 003